Director of Preconstruction — Further Information
Director of Preconstruction — Built Environment
San Jose, CA , USA
Attractive Compensation including stock / equity
HMI - 7390
Role | Director of Preconstruction
Location | San Jose, CA
Attractive Compensation including stock / equity
Hamilton Mayer International is currently partnered with one of the largest, most recognized names in the US construction market. As a known name in the industry, this prestigious general contracting firm has a reputation for delivering some of the country’s more complex projects in vertical ground-up construction.
With the NorCal region going through an exceptional time of growth, the appointment of a Director of Preconstruction has now been approved by executive leadership responsible for leading the company’s expansion in the area.
- Participates in interviews and interview preparation for negotiated bids.
- Assists the Marketing Department in preparation of responses to RFP’s and RFQ’s.
- Provides value alternative solutions taking into consideration cost, schedule, maintenance, and life cycle cost implications. Oversees value alternate preparation from subcontractors, and internal departments.
- Fills in design gaps for incomplete documents for the completion of estimates. Ensures estimating department has most current design information in the preparation of estimates.
- Prepares and submits contract documents for legal and risk reviews
- Prepares qualifications and assumptions that align with the contractual requirements of the project.
- Assists in the prequalification process.
- Responsible for leading internal estimate review and bid process team meetings.
- Acts as “Bid Captain” on pursuits, particularly those projects with a preconstruction period after award, such as a Design-Build pursuit.
- Oversees the establishment and maintenance of budget control during the reconstruction phase of the project.
- Presents deliverables to the owner in a complete and organized manner, per the approved guidelines of the company and the requirements of the owner.
- Attends and represents the company all design and coordination meetings. On some projects may lead these meetings. Maintains an action log for outstanding items and assigns responsibility for such action items. Maintains scope issues log and is responsible for compiling pricing (with assistance from estimating as needed).
- Prepares or oversees preparation of preconstruction schedule with buy-in from internal departments as relates to them. Interfaces with the owners and designers to maintain schedule. Keeps internal departments informed of schedule changes as relates to their activities.
- Assists Project team in design decisions and development of solutions.
- Reviews the project construction schedule and ensures the timely preparation of the General Conditions and coordination of General Conditions with trade packages.
- Manages and maintains consistent deliverables in the approved format.
- Manages all aspects of risk and defines such for the executive team.
- Ensures we are adhering to contractual requirements and strategically meeting overall goals by understanding preconstruction and construction contracts and applying knowledge to assigned project.
- Tracks and manages construction budget between formal estimating periods and keeps owner and team abreast of current budget and impact of design decisions.
- Acts as the team liaison between operations, estimating and design management.
- Represents the business to subcontractors through management of the preconstruction process.
- Assists in the development and training of other preconstruction staff.
- Manages a relationship management plan with owners and key stakeholders in the markets that we cover
- Builds and maintains relationships with architects and engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture or Engineering, and/or 10+ Years of applicable estimating, design management and/or field management experience.
- Proven experience managing preconstruction for large scale projects with emphasis on highly complex projects.
- In-depth knowledge of construction principles/practices required.
- Experience dealing with subcontracts, subcontractors and/or self-perform work.
- Experience leading successful team ventures, including development of employees and maintaining relationships with external entities and subcontractor community.
- Self-starter. Highly motivated to bring results and success to the projects he/she leads
- Ability to build trust and influence others internally and externally.
- Demonstrates behaviours consistent with company core values.
- Maintains a “value added” approach to preconstruction.
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate to varied audiences.
- Strong presentation skills.
Our client is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of race, colour, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious beliefs, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.